Holiday weekend anglers can take advantage of some great late-season trout fishing opportunities across north Georgia. Best bets include:
- Wild trout in headwater streams on the Chattahoochee National Forest
- Cold tailwaters below lakes Lanier and Blue Ridge. Check dam generation schedules beforehand. Call 770-945-1466 for Buford Dam release schedule and view Blue Ridge’s operating schedule here.
- Popular stocked trout streams such as Rock and Cooper creeks near Suches, Wildcat Creek near Lake Burton Fish Hatchery, Dicks Creek on Chestatee Wildlife Management Area and the Tallulah River on the Towns/Rabun County line,
University of North Georgia senior Landon Williams is shown fishing his favorite wild brown trout stream “somewhere north of town.” After completing his homework, he drove into the national forest for an afternoon of fly fishing. He tossed yellow stimulator and green weenie fly patterns into likely lairs and caught a nice handful of colorful brown trout up to ten inches in length.
- Georgia trout fishing information and WRD trout stocking list
- Purchase a Georgia fishing license and trout license
- Additional fishing prospects and opportunities